Monday, October 22, 2012

Get the Creative Juices Flowing

Contemplating the last few days on what may inspire you, I've been creatively stumped.  Over the years I've gained a goldmine of knowledge, experience, and a network of other professionals to bring you endless things to share.  Despite all that, I felt creatively blocked, uninspired, and unsure what you might need right now.

Then I thought...perhaps this creative block is not just happening to me.  'Tis the season?

As we approach the holidays, we are bombarded with questions:  What are the plans for the holidays?  Are we going out of town?  Family or no family?  Celebrate or don't celebrate?  Then come the questions of gift giving:  What would make a great gift for so and so?  Can I afford to do that?  Can I MAKE something, or will that not work?  Am I creative enough to make something?  Should I just get them a card?

So many questions thrown in the air, no definite answers coming back.  This has been my journey as this season approaches.  My creative juices have been on lock-down.

Then I heard an interesting lecture by Julia Cameron, the author of 'The Artist's Way', sharing a method that not only gets your creativity flowing, but allows you to get in touch with deeper parts of yourself that may lead you on an exciting journey.  She calls this process "morning pages".

This is an excerpt from her website:

"Morning Pages are three pages of longhand, stream of consciousness writing,
done first thing in the morning. *There is no wrong way to do Morning Pages*–
they are not high art. They are not even “writing.” They are about
anything and everything that crosses your mind– and they are for your eyes
only. Morning Pages provoke, clarify, comfort, cajole, prioritize and
synchronize the day at hand. Do not over-think Morning Pages: just put
three pages of anything on the page…and then do three more pages tomorrow."

The idea of putting the time and effort into three pages first thing in your busy morning may seem daunting.  Then again, if getting up an hour early to do so gives you endless amounts of clarity and creativity, you may find that it's worth it.

Julia explains that this process takes the ramblings in our heads, our self talk, and puts it on paper.  Wouldn't you like to see what floats around in your head all day?  Can you see that getting all the clutter out of your head to start your day can lend to having a more fulfilling day?

I've been inspired.  I have a notebook on standby next to my bed that will safely be tucked under the mattress so no one else can find it.  As the weeks go by, I will share with you my experiences.

Challenge yourself to go outside your routine and expand.  See what it brings you, and share with us how this process has supported you and got your creative juices back in flow!

Learn more about Julia and her methods on her website:  http://juliacameronlive.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment